Tuesday, August 28, 2012

So... I've ended my first attachment at my work place... It was a lil rushed, really ADHD like, and have a feeling of rootlessness, but I have to admit it did expose me to a lot of the branch and let me see how the cogs work in it. =]

On another note, another acquaintance's getting married! Omg!! It's not that marriage isn't lovely and nice and sweet and all that... It's just... A jolt of reality each time. That we've entered marriageable age? Not really... That we're REALLY entering a new phase of life? Ya... Seems like it...

Actually, looking at the truth behind it, it's not like the marriages are ruses or something, but I think the housing policy now doesn't consider psychological development. At young adulthood, people have great urges to move out. It's biologically adaptive, really, since it prevents 'in breeding' and all that now that the young person is grown up. So since we can't physically remove ourselves from our parents, we distance ourselves psychologically. This creates a lot of tension between young adults and parents. Also means increase in arguments. Fraught family tensions. Not good, you know? But no, the policy looks so hard at "MUST. CREATE. FAMILY!! FORCE. PEOPLE. TO. MARRY. FOR. HOUSING!!" (something like that, at least, to the layman) that it forgets to look at other things, like, plain didn't-cross-your-mind forget. Things like psychological development that has great impact on, well, families! The basic building block of society they wanna get at. The things they want to firm up. So, a number of my friends (the single ones, since I started the post saying so many acquaintances are marrying already) actually have tightrope-like tension with their parents, and no wonder, yes?

So looking at it, we (as in we, the layman of Singapore) often say people are getting married to get HDBs. True. Not saying that they don't love each other or anything, they do! But yes, HDBs. Time to move in together and stay together, in place of the not so commonly known (maybe subconscious) though of time to move out of my parents' place. Not talking about not being filial or anything (my acquaintances are all filial, to my knowledge), just... evolution doing its thang, you know?

So... Ya... New phase of life, wanting to cut apron strings, (yet another) friend marrying off to their sweethearts and all that (lost count how many in the past year alone. And it only started in the past year)......

Maybe... I should just rent out flat some time? It'll eat a huge chunk out of my salary which I'm so keen to save to finance my future (accommodation, possibly further education, emergencies, retirement), but, really... This instinct is really kicking me in the rear end harder than most people......

No comments: